Research provides contrary results for Time Restricted Eating

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Research provides contrary results for Time Restricted Eating

Post by BrianR »

One of Ethan Weiss's lab team ran a study on Time Restricted Eating in humans. The primary focus was weight loss, but they also looked at potential metabolic benefits. The results did not indicate value for TRE and did find statistically significant loss of lean muscle mass in the TRE group. This is definitely a study I'll need to think about.

Ethan's tweetstorm reviewing this: https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/status/ ... 2691842049

Effects of Time-Restricted Eating on Weight Loss and Other Metabolic Parameters in Women and Men With Overweight and ObesityThe TREAT Randomized Clinical Trial

Lowe DA, Wu N, Rohdin-Bibby L, et al. Effects of Time-Restricted Eating on Weight Loss and Other Metabolic Parameters in Women and Men With Overweight and Obesity: The TREAT Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. Published online September 28, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.4153
Key Points

Question What is the effect of time-restricted eating on weight loss and metabolic health in patients with overweight and obesity?

Findings In this prospective randomized clinical trial that included 116 adults with overweight or obesity, time-restricted eating was associated with a modest decrease (1.17%) in weight that was not significantly different from the decrease in the control group (0.75%).

Meaning Time-restricted eating did not confer weight loss or cardiometabolic benefits in this study.

Abstract
Importance The efficacy and safety of time-restricted eating have not been explored in large randomized clinical trials.

Objective To determine the effect of 16:8-hour time-restricted eating on weight loss and metabolic risk markers.

Interventions Participants were randomized such that the consistent meal timing (CMT) group was instructed to eat 3 structured meals per day, and the time-restricted eating (TRE) group was instructed to eat ad libitum from 12:00 pm until 8:00 pm and completely abstain from caloric intake from 8:00 pm until 12:00 pm the following day.

Design, Setting, and Participants This 12-week randomized clinical trial including men and women aged 18 to 64 years with a body mass index (BMI, calculated as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared) of 27 to 43 was conducted on a custom mobile study application. Participants received a Bluetooth scale. Participants lived anywhere in the United States, with a subset of 50 participants living near San Francisco, California, who underwent in-person testing.

Main Outcomes and Measures The primary outcome was weight loss. Secondary outcomes from the in-person cohort included changes in weight, fat mass, lean mass, fasting insulin, fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1c levels, estimated energy intake, total energy expenditure, and resting energy expenditure.

Results Overall, 116 participants (mean [SD] age, 46.5 [10.5] years; 70 [60.3%] men) were included in the study. There was a significant decrease in weight in the TRE (−0.94 kg; 95% CI, −1.68 to −0.20; P = .01), but no significant change in the CMT group (−0.68 kg; 95% CI, -1.41 to 0.05, P = .07) or between groups (−0.26 kg; 95% CI, −1.30 to 0.78; P = .63). In the in-person cohort (n = 25 TRE, n = 25 CMT), there was a significant within-group decrease in weight in the TRE group (−1.70 kg; 95% CI, −2.56 to −0.83; P < .001). There was also a significant difference in appendicular lean mass index between groups (−0.16 kg/m2; 95% CI, −0.27 to −0.05; P = .005). There were no significant changes in any of the other secondary outcomes within or between groups. There were no differences in estimated energy intake between groups.

Conclusions and Relevance Time-restricted eating, in the absence of other interventions, is not more effective in weight loss than eating throughout the day.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Research provides contrary results for Time Restricted Eating

Post by Tincup »

Here is the full protocol. I don't think I'd make a lifestyle decision based on this study.
Tincup
E3,E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

BrianR wrote:One of Ethan Weiss's lab team ran a study on Time Restricted Eating in humans. The primary focus was weight loss, but they also looked at potential metabolic benefits. The results did not indicate value for TRE and did find statistically significant loss of lean muscle mass in the TRE group. This is definitely a study I'll need to think about.
I read the article last night in The NY Times. As you stated, primary goal was Weight loss. Also, within the eating period, there were no food guidelines or restrictions. The conclusion mentioned that insufficient protein intake might account for loss of muscle mass.
My conclusion from reading the study was that time restricted eating as a stand alone intervention was not effective for improving biomarkers or weight loss for the participants in the study. As someone who watched a family member try TRE with goal of weight loss, all the while consuming double helpings of cheesecake and a lot of junk food, I can see why TRE alone might not improve health. I have also seen huge improvements in biomarkers of individuals who are doing a more comprehensive approach to diet that includes TRE.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

"The TRF (time restricted feeding) group will be instructed to consume ad libitum from 12:00pm until 8:00pm every day and completely abstain from calorie consumption for the remainder of the day. "

"The control cohort will be instructed to eat three meals per day (6:00am-10:00am, 11:00am-3:00pm,
5:00pm-10:00pm). "

One of the things that came out of Satchin Panda's team is that most people were eating much of the time they were awake. A person in the control group in this study is limiting themselves to 3 meals a day, not eating 6+ meals and snacks. So the control group could be considered somewhat restricted, too. I gave Satchin's book as gifts a few years ago at Christmas. One 72 year old relative told me, just following the book's advice, she'd solved quite a few chronic issues that had not been solved before, even with advice from practitioners. One of the things she quit doing was eating late.

Could be an argument that just paying attention can reap benefits.
Tincup
E3,E4