New Member - First Post

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Floridaman
New User
New User

New Member - First Post

Post by Floridaman »

Hi all,

I am a new member and here is my background. I have opposite family history between my mother and father. My mother had diabetes, heart disease and passed from Alzheimers in 2015 after a 15 year battle. Her brothers died young from late 30’s to early 60’s from heart attacks. Her mother died of a stroke and father a heart attack. My dad’s side is very healthy, he is 93 right now and his sister just passed at 96.

As a kid, it was no fun watching my uncles drop dead like they did. I remember once when I was 19 years old or so my dad mentioned that I should watch myself because of my mother’s gene potential. I did nothing about it of course, at least at that time.

Move forward to 2014 at 50 years old, in the hot spot for my uncle’s heart attacks, I decided to get a calcium scan done and received the unfortunate result of a 363 score with most in my Left Antierior Decending (LAD), the widow maker. Per my doctor I immediately maxed out a statin, aspirin, blood pressure med and fish oil. I also went vegan. My blood test results were generally very good but my glucose reading was creeping higher each year approaching 100. In 2020 I made several changes, first I went low carb due to the rising sugars which meant giving up vegan status, I also had a second calcium scoring test and it was up by 75%, to 660. I also had my APOE status tested and just found out I am a 3/4, with the 4 coming from my mother as I expected. To top it all off I have noted some memory problems so did the Moca Cog test and scored a 26 so I did a full blown multi hour test with a neuro psychologist and was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment last week. They don’t know what it is, early alzheimers, vascular, stress related or other, only time will tell but I want to correct it as best I can. I was on 40 mg/day Crestor and I have now backed it off to 5 mg/day, I am not so sure that the high does statin did not have something to do with my MCI.

So I now know I am a. 4 carrier, have significant heart disease and something going on with my memory. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully the information and people on this website can further help me understand how to combat what I am facing.
carrie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member - First Post

Post by carrie »

Floridaman wrote:Hi all,

I am a new member and here is my background. I have opposite family history between my mother and father. My mother had diabetes, heart disease and passed from Alzheimers in 2015 after a 15 year battle. Her brothers died young from late 30’s to early 60’s from heart attacks. Her mother died of a stroke and father a heart attack. My dad’s side is very healthy, he is 93 right now and his sister just passed at 96.

As a kid, it was no fun watching my uncles drop dead like they did. I remember once when I was 19 years old or so my dad mentioned that I should watch myself because of my mother’s gene potential. I did nothing about it of course, at least at that time.

Move forward to 2014 at 50 years old, in the hot spot for my uncle’s heart attacks, I decided to get a calcium scan done and received the unfortunate result of a 363 score with most in my Left Antierior Decending (LAD), the widow maker. Per my doctor I immediately maxed out a statin, aspirin, blood pressure med and fish oil. I also went vegan. My blood test results were generally very good but my glucose reading was creeping higher each year approaching 100. In 2020 I made several changes, first I went low carb due to the rising sugars which meant giving up vegan status, I also had a second calcium scoring test and it was up by 75%, to 660. I also had my APOE status tested and just found out I am a 3/4, with the 4 coming from my mother as I expected. To top it all off I have noted some memory problems so did the Moca Cog test and scored a 26 so I did a full blown multi hour test with a neuro psychologist and was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment last week. They don’t know what it is, early alzheimers, vascular, stress related or other, only time will tell but I want to correct it as best I can. I was on 40 mg/day Crestor and I have now backed it off to 5 mg/day, I am not so sure that the high does statin did not have something to do with my MCI.

So I now know I am a. 4 carrier, have significant heart disease and something going on with my memory. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully the information and people on this website can further help me understand how to combat what I am facing.

Hello Floridaman!

As an intern on the site, I want to extend a warm welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing your story with the ApoE4.info community. I want to be sure to let you know you are not alone in your journey and you have found a passionate and knowledgeable community. While the science is not black & white, it is my hope you will find some answers and inspiration.

To get started, I wanted to pass along a few tips I found helpful when I joined. The Primer is a post written by a physician member of the community. It is an insightful post and a great place to begin. As for navigation of the site, the How-To Guide found in the Wiki includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote button (") when replying to a post. Using this button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps keep the conversation rolling.

If you have any questions navigating, please don't hesitate to ask. Looking forward to seeing you around forum.
Until then. . .
Take care,
Carrie