New Member Mary Lou

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Mary Lou
New User
New User

New Member Mary Lou

Post by Mary Lou »

Hello all, I'm Mary Lou, 67 yr. old female, 3/4 (newly identified). I have been aware of dementia/AD
for most of my life as my grandmother, close aunt and cousin all suffered from dementia. Recently, my 70 year old sister was diagnosed with early onset AD. I have read both of Dale Bredesen's End of AD books, as well as David Perlmutter's Grain Brain. I am a retired school teacher and have suffered from brain fog, word retrieval problems, fatigue, hearing loss, GERD, etc. Nutrition has been a focus of mine for many years. My own 3/4 and my sister's diagnosis and decline has taken my concern to a whole new level. I have had lots of blood work, a saliva test for hormones, a cardio cat scan, and a new nurse practitioner to work with. I've been on the keto diet for 2 years and with modifications, it has helped with weight loss and blood sugar issues. With 36 identifiable factors contributing to brain health, we all certainly need support, helpful guidance, and continued research. I look forward to joining you as we each work towards a protocol that works best for us. I am ready to delve into this experiment and look forward to learning a great deal and to meeting some awesome people!
Hugs, Mary Lou
carrie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member Mary Lou

Post by carrie »

Mary Lou wrote:Hello all, I'm Mary Lou, 67 yr. old female, 3/4 (newly identified). I have been aware of dementia/AD
for most of my life as my grandmother, close aunt and cousin all suffered from dementia. Recently, my 70 year old sister was diagnosed with early onset AD. I have read both of Dale Bredesen's End of AD books, as well as David Perlmutter's Grain Brain. I am a retired school teacher and have suffered from brain fog, word retrieval problems, fatigue, hearing loss, GERD, etc. Nutrition has been a focus of mine for many years. My own 3/4 and my sister's diagnosis and decline has taken my concern to a whole new level. I have had lots of blood work, a saliva test for hormones, a cardio cat scan, and a new nurse practitioner to work with. I've been on the keto diet for 2 years and with modifications, it has helped with weight loss and blood sugar issues. With 36 identifiable factors contributing to brain health, we all certainly need support, helpful guidance, and continued research. I look forward to joining you as we each work towards a protocol that works best for us. I am ready to delve into this experiment and look forward to learning a great deal and to meeting some awesome people!
Hugs, Mary Lou

Welcome, Mary Lou, to the Apoe4.info community! Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis and I certainly understand your concern. You are in the right place! The Apoe.info community is filled with friendly, passionate, and helpful members. Since you are a first-time poster, I'd like to share a few tips that may help with navigating the site.

The Primer is a post was written by a physician member of the community. It is a great place to get started for an overview.

How-to Guide is a fantastic resource found within the Wiki. It includes topics such as navigating the forum, private messaging, and searching. One great tip is using the quote button (") when replying to a post. Using this button will automatically alert the member of your response. It really helps keep the conversation rolling.

Again, a big warm welcome Mary Lou. Glad you are here and looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Best wishes.
Carrie