Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Ben McAlevey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ben McAlevey »

Hi! Great site!! I'm an asymptomatic 4/4 67 year old in West Palm Beach FL. I've luckily been doing everything right for years except my sleep has been awful the last 15 years. Started TM recently to help. Anyone in South Florida that maybe knows of or wants to initiate meet-ups, or just get together? Thanks to all the amazing people that put this awesome group together!!!
BloomAgain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: new member

Post by BloomAgain »

Ben McAlevey wrote:Hi! Great site!! I'm an asymptomatic 4/4 67 year old in West Palm Beach FL. I've luckily been doing everything right for years except my sleep has been awful the last 15 years. Started TM recently to help. Anyone in South Florida that maybe knows of or wants to initiate meet-ups, or just get together? Thanks to all the amazing people that put this awesome group together!!!
Welcome to the ApoE4.info site, Ben McAlevey!

We are glad you found us and hope you find the wealth of information and support of the community helpful. Congratulations on taking the initiative to seek-out the latest ApoE4 information!

Since you are a new poster, I'd like to share a few links that will help you navigate this site.

How-To Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website was created to help new (and not so new) members navigate the site. This area explains how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics, how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

The PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies is a fantastic resource, exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression.

And, we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey by creating a new topic in Our Stories.

You specifically mentioned a need to improve your sleep. Our Wiki Index offers a wealth of information, including the following links that you may find especially helpful: Sleep

Also, an ApoE4-aware physician or health coach may be able to assist you in sleep improvement.
Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner
A List of ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners
A List of ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches

Again, welcome! We are here to assist you, so please feel free to continue to post any questions! :D
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Qualified ReCODE Practitioner/Health Coach (Bredesen Protocol)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Ben McAlevey wrote:Hi! Great site!! I'm an asymptomatic 4/4 67 year old in West Palm Beach FL. I've luckily been doing everything right for years except my sleep has been awful the last 15 years. Started TM recently to help. Anyone in South Florida that maybe knows of or wants to initiate meet-ups, or just get together? Thanks to all the amazing people that put this awesome group together!!!
Welcome, Ben!

As an asymptomatic 68 year old ApoE 4/4, i'm glad to congratulate you on enjoying a healthy life in a sunny state! You don't mention in what ways your sleep has been awful, and if you're comfortable sharing some more details, you may get ideas from someone with a similar history. Here's an April 2020 article from the Cleveland Clinic on Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders that may be of interest to you. if you scroll through to the Management and Treatment page, it offers several lifestyle and non-pharmacological suggestions. (Although with a 15-year history, you may be an expert on what hasn't worked for you!)

I also wanted to let you know that we have a forum category devoted to Meet-Ups that you can find on the Board Index when you login. If you want to post a suggestion about a virtual or socially-distanced ;) meet-up in the Palm beach area, you can create a new post on that forum. We recommend that people communicate about Meet-Ups either on the forum directly or, if arranging times and places, through Private Messages, unless or until you feel comfortable sharing emails. We recommend that users DON'T share emails on the forum, since any post is searchable on Google. Here's a link to our How-To section on using Private Messages: Using Private Messages.

To help start a conversation with your fellow Floridans, I've "quoted" several users who have expressed an interest in a meeting. By quoting them (which the quotation mark in the upper right hand corner does if you click on any post), they will get an email notification of your post, just like you did when I quoted you.
SusanJ wrote:
Elevation wrote:
Vikingman wrote:
Tiramisu1984 wrote:
A final thought: ApoE 4/4 user Indywoman, another healthy, active person, has a great motto: " Do something today that your future self will thank you for". One idea for 2021 that you may thank yourself for looking into, is joining one of many participant registries looking to study healthy Apoe4s.

Here's info on a few of them: The All of Us Research Program is sponsored by the National Institute of Health: All of Us is
inviting one million people across the U.S. to help build one of the most diverse health databases in history. We welcome participants from all backgrounds. Researchers will use the data to learn how our biology, lifestyle, and environment affect health. This could help them develop better treatments and ways to prevent different diseases.

The Brain Health Registry has this goal:
We are building a large pool of potential participants in clinical trials. The brain tests and questionnaires can help identify those that might benefit from potential diagnostic tools or therapies. This pre-screened applicant pool can take years off trials!...When trials are faster, better and less expensive, investigators can test more theories and try new therapeutic approaches. The prospects for breakthrough innovation increase – and that’s exactly what we need.
The Alzheimer's Association spends millions each year to support research on prevention and treatment of AD, and has a Trial Match of studies that include non-drug trials. Having been a member for years, I can attest that it's very low-pressure! You can read more here: Trial Match

The Alzheimer's Clinical Trial Consortium (ACTC) is a network of dozens of academic research centers collaborating to accelerate research, with funding from the National Institute on Aging (NIA/NIH). They have an online Alzheimer's Prevention Trial web study called for people who are 50 years or older. You can find information about it here: APT Webstudy Welcome (Full disclosure: I am on the Research Participant Advisory Board for the ACTC, although I am not in any ACTC-sponsored clinical trial.)

Welcome to the community!
4/4 and still an optimist!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Ben McAlevey wrote:Anyone in South Florida that maybe knows of or wants to initiate meet-ups, or just get together?
Hi, Ben and welcome. NF52 tagged me as being in Florida, and just to let you know that I've moved back to my home state of Colorado. Hope that other Floridians will speak up as to meeting sometime in the future.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ben McAlevey wrote: Started TM recently to help.
As a long time TM meditator, they sent me (& anyone can use) a link to view the film "MEETING THE BEATLES IN INDIA" Basically it is about a guy who randomly ended up in India at the Maharishi's ashram at the same time as the Beatles. Fun. I think this freebee runs through the end of the year, so act if you are interested. I thought it was fun - you can skip the previews at the beginning. Here are their instructions:
1. Whenever you are ready to watch, visit https://gathr.us/watch.
2. Enter your email address and the following access code: 622926.
3. Press Submit.
4. When the new page loads click "Watch"
5. When you click "Watch" you will be able to watch the film for 24 hours.

alternative instructions:
1. Between December 24–31, go to the website FREE HOLIDAY GIFT: "MEETING THE BEATLES IN INDIA" PRESENTED BY PAUL SALTZMAN, DAVID LYNCH FOUNDATION & THE TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION ORGANIZATION with Gathr At Home™ , and click on the pink button WATCH NOW. This will take you to a login page.

2. Click on the CONTINUE AS GUEST BUTTON. This will open a new page showing a bill of $0.00.

3. Click CONTINUE. This will give you the option to make a donation of your choice to support the work of the David Lynch Foundation, Paul Saltzman, and the TM organization. If you do not wish to make a donation at this time, click CONTINUE.

4. Fill out the form on the new page. (Creating an account is optional.)

5. Click CONTINUE. You will see that your bill is $0.00.

6. Click RENT. You'll receive confirmation of your (free) digital rental.

7. You may also receive an email with an access code, but it's not necessary to successfully start the film. After December 31, the free option may no longer be available. Enjoy the film!
Tincup
E3,E4
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Ben McAlevey wrote: Anyone in South Florida that maybe knows of or wants to initiate meet-ups, or just get together?
Hi Ben,
Welcome to the community. We have a group that has been getting together virtually on Zoom. We started as a "Book Club" group to discuss "The End Of Alzheimer's Program", but now we just talk about whatever topics interest the group. There is a post about it here. Let me know if you'd like to join us and I will send you the info. The next gathering is January 23 at 4:00 pm ET.
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Ben McAlevey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ben McAlevey »

Yes Julie, I am interested! Thank you. Happy New Year!