Books and reading

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Books and reading

Post by Stavia »

Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens and Homo Deus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
dingter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dingter »

I enjoyed Not Fade Away. It's a story about a successful, dying man and tugs at the heart in his description of how health and life puts money and accomplishment in perspective.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I just picked up a great book on Audible -- The Go Giver. It's a quick listen / read, highly recommended.
The Go-Giver tells the story of an ambitious young man named Joe who yearns for success. Joe is a true go-getter, though sometimes he feels as if the harder and faster he works, the further away his goals seem to be. And so one day, desperate to land a key sale at the end of a bad quarter, he seeks advice from the enigmatic Pindar, a legendary consultant referred to by his many devotees simply as the Chairman.

Over the next week, Pindar introduces Joe to a series of “go-givers:” a restaurateur, a CEO, a financial adviser, a real estate broker, and the “Connector,” who brought them all together. Pindar’s friends share with Joe the Five Laws of Stratospheric Success and teach him how to open himself up to the power of giving.

Joe learns that changing his focus from getting to giving—putting others’ interests first and continually adding value to their lives—ultimately leads to unexpected returns.

Imparted with wit and grace, The Go-Giver is a heartwarming and inspiring tale that brings new relevance to the old proverb “Give and you shall receive.”
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Just been reading In Pursuit of Memory which I'd recommend.

Fascinating reading and some of the stories behind those involved in AD research.

"His quest takes us from nineteenth-century Germany and post-war England, to the jungles of Papua New Guinea and the technological proving grounds of Japan; through America, India, China, Iceland, Sweden and Colombia. Its heroes are scientists from around the world, and the brave patients and families who have changed the way that researchers think about the disease."
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Sam Harris - Lying
Sam Harris - Free Will

- Shorter reads, but still very intellectually stimulating

Frank Ostaseski - The Five Invitations

- Stories from Frank's time working at Zen Hospice and how we can cannot truly live until we are fully aware of death
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Books and reading

Post by Stavia »

McGido wrote:Sam Harris - Lying
Sam Harris - Free Will

- Shorter reads, but still very intellectually stimulating

Frank Ostaseski - The Five Invitations

- Stories from Frank's time working at Zen Hospice and how we can cannot truly live until we are fully aware of death
Ah you've found Sam Harris. My older son's favourite atheist philosopher. I really should read his work - which is your recommendation to start?

Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Orangeblossom wrote:the jungles of Papua New Guinea
Not Gajdusek by any chance?
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Books and reading

Post by McGido »

Stavia wrote:Ah you've found Sam Harris. My older son's favourite atheist philosopher. I really should read his work - which is your recommendation to start?
I think Lying would be a good start. They are both pretty short so not hard to finish in a day or two. Free Will was more intellectually stimulating for me. I never had really thought about the concept of free will but after reading that book I certainly began to question it a lot more. We could have a whole other thread about free will if you end up reading it that would be fun to discuss!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Cool. I'll see if my son has hard copies otherwise I'll kindle.