Blenders and Grinders

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Blenders and Grinders

Post by Rainbow »

I moved to the US a few weeks ago and need to buy kitchen-related stuff. Can anyone recommend:
  • Something for grinding flaxseed with.
  • Something for making smoothies with. It should be able to pulverize celery and thick kale stems!
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Blenders and Grinders

Post by SusanJ »

I use a Vitamix for smoothies, grinding soaked nuts, etc. Blendtec is another high-speed blender that many folks like.

I have a small Cuisinart spice and nut grinder to do flax and spices. Never tried nuts in it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

There are some videos online that compare Vitamix and Blendtec. You might find these useful to help see which of these brands most suits you. I use the Blendtec. For a lower budget option, InstantPot either has come out with or will be coming out with a new blender sold only through Walmart. I think it's meant to take on Vitamix and Blendtec at a lower price point. Some of these blenders can do both the hard core smoothies (mind liquifies huge chunks of ginger root) and nuts/seeds/grain, whether in their main attachment or another attachment available for purchase.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

There are also a number of lower budget options that might work. If you can find a Bed, Bath and Beyond near you, they'll have Blendtec and some of these cheaper options on their shelves. If you purchase there, you can sign up to get their 20% off coupons, then when you get your first one, take it in with the receipt later and they'll apply it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

SusanJ wrote:I use a Vitamix for smoothies, grinding soaked nuts, etc. Blendtec is another high-speed blender that many folks like.

I have a small Cuisinart spice and nut grinder to do flax and spices. Never tried nuts in it.
circular wrote:There are some videos online that compare Vitamix and Blendtec. You might find these useful to help see which of these brands most suits you. I use the Blendtec. For a lower budget option, InstantPot either has come out with or will be coming out with a new blender sold only through Walmart. I think it's meant to take on Vitamix and Blendtec at a lower price point. Some of these blenders can do both the hard core smoothies (mind liquifies huge chunks of ginger root) and nuts/seeds/grain, whether in their main attachment or another attachment available for purchase.
Thanks Susan and circular! I'll check out the online videos. I've realized that I've met someone here who owns a Blendtec, so will be able to test it out. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone else who has a Vitamix ;)
4/4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

I have used a coffee bean grinder to grind flax seeds.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Rainbow wrote:I moved to the US a few weeks ago and need to buy kitchen-related stuff. Can anyone recommend:
  • Something for grinding flaxseed with.
  • Something for making smoothies with. It should be able to pulverize celery and thick kale stems!
Hi Rainbow,

I hope your move is going smoothly:)

Vitamix can do both incredibly well. You will need a separate "dry" container/blade for grinding seeds. I absolutely LOVE my Vitamix!

Wishing you all the best in the U.S.!
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Sara wrote:I have used a coffee bean grinder to grind flax seeds.
GLS18 wrote:Hi Rainbow,

I hope your move is going smoothly:)

Vitamix can do both incredibly well. You will need a separate "dry" container/blade for grinding seeds. I absolutely LOVE my Vitamix!

Wishing you all the best in the U.S.!
Thanks Sara and GLS18!

I'm really enjoying it here so far, although it's a huge adjustment and I haven't properly acclimatized yet. Taking things one step at a time :) Smoothies and flaxseed buns are going to help!
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Me too.
Tincup
E3,E4
SleepyGirl80
New User
New User

Post by SleepyGirl80 »

Thanks!
Working hard and working smart sometimes can be two different things.