Peter Attia Podcast with Neurologist Richard Isaacson on Alzhiemer's Prevention

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Peter Attia Podcast with Neurologist Richard Isaacson on Alzhiemer's Prevention

Post by JimBG »

Peter Attia released a podcast with Richard Isaacson, a neurologist and director of the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medicine and New York-Presbyterian, discussing strategies for staving off Alzheimer’s disease.

https://peterattiamd.com/richardisaacson/

It is on the long side at about 2 1/4 hours. At 58 minutes they have an interesting discussion about the APOE gene. They also cover why the risk is higher in women, HRT, MTHFR, Theracurmin, exercise, nutrition among many other things. The show notes are very good and provide the key points of the discussion without having to listen to it. Dale Bredesen is also mentioned in passing near the end as an impetus for Attia and Issacson to collaborate on a Alzheimer related paper. Isaacson indicated the need to tailor the prevention approach to the individual due to different polymorphisms, states of health, age, sex, etc., and that no one size fits all. And noted that there is still a great deal of uncertainty of exactly how best to tailor such approaches, hence its more of an art than science.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Peter Attia Podcast with Neurologist Richard Isaacson on Alzhiemer's Prevention

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks JimBG! I've just started listening to this.
4/4
dmekolon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Peter Attia Podcast with Neurologist Richard Isaacson on Alzhiemer's Prevention

Post by dmekolon »

Excellent podcast; highly recommend. Contains actionable steps, including specific supplements that can be taken to reduce risk.
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

Well worth the listen.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but have read the detailed show notes on Dr Attia's website. The material looks very Bredesen-esque.
Slacker
E4/E4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings dmekolon, thank you for visiting the apoe4.info site and for recommending Dr. Isaacson's podcast! We welcome new perspectives. If you would like to learn more about our site I invite you to visit our Primer which provides a physician based perspective on this collaboration of information.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

dmekolon wrote:Excellent podcast; highly recommend. Contains actionable steps, including specific supplements that can be taken to reduce risk.

Hi ​​d​mekolon and a warm welcome to our community!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding Dr. Isaacson's podcast. While I did not listen to the podcast yet, I did review the accompanying written notes. I echo slacker's comments, as there does seem to be alignment with Dr. Bredesen's RECODE program. If you have not read it already, you may find Dr. Bredesen's book, The End of Alzheimer's, a helpful companion. Within this book, he also provides goals in several areas, along with a supplementation list.

Our member s​ha​c​herry recently worked with ​Dr. Ishii, ​one of Dr. Isaacson's colleagues at the Alzheimer's P​revention Clinic​ in Well ​Cornell ​Medical Center. You may also be interested in learning about her experience here.

This supportive community offers m​​any opportunities to learn and share insights. The Primer is a fantastic ​resource exploring areas such as the ​science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website is a brilliant guide for navigating the site effectively and finding information most relevant to you.
As we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey via Our Stories.

Looking forward to your continued contributions and again, a warm welcome!
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Thank you for posting! I am listening to it now!
Whats up with all those cell-phones lol!!!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
dmekolon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dmekolon »

Sara wrote:Greetings dmekolon, thank you for visiting the apoe4.info site and for recommending Dr. Isaacson's podcast! We welcome new perspectives. If you would like to learn more about our site I invite you to visit our Primer which provides a physician based perspective on this collaboration of information.
Hi Sara! Thank you so much. I will definitely dive into the Primer. I can't wait to learn more!
dmekolon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dmekolon »

GLS18 wrote:
dmekolon wrote:Excellent podcast; highly recommend. Contains actionable steps, including specific supplements that can be taken to reduce risk.

Hi d​mekolon and a warm welcome to our community!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding Dr. Isaacson's podcast. While I did not listen to the podcast yet, I did review the accompanying written notes. I echo slacker's comments, as there does seem to be alignment with Dr. Bredesen's RECODE program. If you have not read it already, you may find Dr. Bredesen's book, The End of Alzheimer's, a helpful companion. Within this book, he also provides goals in several areas, along with a supplementation list.

Our member s​ha​c​herry recently worked with ​Dr. Ishii, ​one of Dr. Isaacson's colleagues at the Alzheimer's P​revention Clinic​ in Well ​Cornell ​Medical Center. You may also be interested in learning about her experience here.

This supportive community offers m​​any opportunities to learn and share insights. The Primer is a fantastic ​resource exploring areas such as the ​science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician, member and E4/E4. How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website is a brilliant guide for navigating the site effectively and finding information most relevant to you.
As we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site, we invite you to share your journey via Our Stories.

Looking forward to your continued contributions and again, a warm welcome!
Hi GLS18 - thank you so much for the warm welcome and the helpful resources. I just learned I have the ApoE4 gene through 23&Me and am trying not to panic! I am listening to Dr. Bredesen's audiobook and so far it's been invaluable. I feel more hopeful already...I am ordering the physical book as I need it as reference. I will certainly introduce myself in Our Stories and can't wait to peruse to learn about other members of this site. I'm so glad I found this! Again thank you so much for your kind note.