keto, weight loss, hunger

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Re: keto, weight loss, hunger

Post by JD2020 »

Thank you for the very helpful information. As I orient to all this and evaluate my very short two day experience, will someone help me understand this: I woke up this morning with 1.1 BHB and 77 fasting glucose. I did my hike. About 1 1/2 hours later, still fasting, BHB was 1.4 and still fasting glucose rose to 91. Does that mean that the exercise triggered release of glucose into my blood? And that was why I was able to roll myself out of bed and do the hike - because I still had plenty of sugar fuel in my body?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

With a 1.1 BHB, you should be relatively adapted. Exercise can trigger the release of both BHB and glucose. It is common for diabetics to see their glucose increase with exercise (however if they exercise and then eat, they can handle more carbs many times.). Also, though the glucose meter reads down to 1 mg/dL, it may be +/- a fair amount - they all are. With one experiment, I had two meters and a continuous glucose meter - actually the CGM read the sensor and also has strips they give very different readings.
Tincup
E3,E4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

I have been continuing with my two day experiment. I usually test in low keto. The doctor said that even for prevention, she believes there are benefits to be had by achieving higher levels. I don't do more than 2 days at a time because the weight loss is too much if I go longer. I will spend this whole week regaining the weight that I lost in the last two days.

Here is my question: I did the same thing that I've been doing, yet this time, BHB hardly moved. Fasting glucose dropped on day 1 and then rose on day 2. It is as though I did nothing. Is there something that I am missing besides diet, sleep, exercise that impacts keto status?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

JD2020 wrote:Here is my question: I did the same thing that I've been doing, yet this time, BHB hardly moved. Fasting glucose dropped on day 1 and then rose on day 2. It is as though I did nothing. Is there something that I am missing besides diet, sleep, exercise that impacts keto status?
Insulin is the driver to endogenous ketone production - in the inverse. So higher levels of insulin will inhibit ketone production. This is why T1 (or other insulin dependent) diabetics can have ketoacidosis (when they don't have enough insulin), which presents with high glucose and high ketones. The lack of insulin lets the glucose and the ketones go very high.
Tincup
E3,E4
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Question for Tincup: I can eat higher or lower carb but I don't feel any difference in my energy levels. My problem is my A1C and fasting blood glucose. I can't bring my A1C lower than 5.4, it generally fluctuates between 5.4 and even when zero carb it goes to 5.7. My fasting blood sugar is 91 when higher carb and 98 with lower carb. My insulin is low at 3 with higher carb and 4 with lower carb. This has been going on for years so I don't think I am a Type 1 diabetic. My doctor, in a last effort to bring the A1c down, has me on Berberine, and some supplements for blood sugar support. I do Time Restricted Eating of between 14 to 18 hrs. a day. I'm 5.6 and 110 lbs. Too thin for comfort. My ketones are .5 in the morning and after exercise- I'm a female runner 5-7 miles a few times a week with weight training and a couple of days of HIIT- they can be at 1. A few years ago I did a Glucose Tolerance Test, without a 3 day carb loading, and it was 10 points higher than Krafts insulin assay. My LPIR is under 25. Do you have any idea what the problem might be? Am I insulin sensitive? Is there anything to try next?

I'm sorry to hijack this post, but maybe someone else is going thru the same thing and can learn something new.

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

roxanne wrote:Question for Tincup
First, A1C may not be a reliable indicator of average glucose See this. Basically the conversion of A1c to average glucose assumes a red blood cell life. If yours is longer, then A1C will be higher & conversely if lower A1C will be lower (perhaps longer life with zero carb). You could measure your fingerstick glucose over the day - say wake up, before meals, 30, 60, & 90 minutes after meals (until quits changing and then calculate an average glucose and compare to a calculator like this. You might do this for a couple of days.

"it was 10 points higher than Krafts insulin assay. " I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

NZ PhD Catherine Crofts, who did her dissertation using Kraft's data (and who is a friend) says that fasting insulin is very pulsatile. So there really is no difference between a 3 and a 4 reading.

For low carbers, she suggests getting an insulin test exactly 2 hours after your carbiest meal of the day (you'd want to arrange with the lab first). If under 30, you are good, if over 50 bad and inbetween need more info.
Tincup
E3,E4
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Thanks Tincup. I will try the fingersticks. Also, I will do the insulin test. A couple of years ago I did an insulin test 1.5 hrs after a carby meal and it was at 17. But I will redo it exactly at 2 hours. If good, I will forget about the A1C The stress of trying to lower it and failing is very detrimental. I will let you know of my results.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Tincup wrote:First, A1C may not be a reliable indicator of average glucose See this. Basically the conversion of A1c to average glucose assumes a red blood cell life. If yours is longer, then A1C will be higher & conversely if lower A1C will be lower (perhaps longer life with zero carb).
Thanks for posting the Kresser article on HbA1c. Makes sense and was something I'd never considered. That anemia can yield lower HbA1c results was also noteworthy.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health