Its all about context : interesting case

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Its all about context : interesting case

Post by Julie G »

NICE! I love that you are teaching your colleagues new tricks :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Congrats - you deserve several gold stars, a bunch of kudos and a good old fashioned pat on the back. WAY TO GO!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

thanks guys, I LOVE not having to give drugs, seriously.
And this is a lesson to my colleagues that EPIGENETICS RULES!!!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

Also confirms what I observe - that these lipids are a flux and can vary in a large degree over short periods of time...
Tincup
E3,E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

It also shows how much there is left that we don't know. The fact that it can be influenced so fast is a great example.
E3/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

What I've noticed is that most docs who are using the dietary approach to lipid/glucose issues are ones that got frustrated with the "standard" answers while trying to solve their own issues. They then branched out on themselves and then started applying what they observed to their patients. This goes back to Dr. Atkins, who had a weight/lipid problem himself and used an approach published in a 1963? JAMA paper. It worked, so he started trying it on his patients. Also Dr. Richard Bernstein, who as a T1 diabetic and engineer, was one of the first to use a portable glucometer. He learned to use his diet to keep tight serum glucose control (his target being 83 md/dL before and after meals). He tried to write about his approach in the '70's but was rejected since he wasn't an MD. This prompted him to go to medical school starting at age 45 (no small feat to get accepted). He's been treating patients since finishing training and continues to be very active today at near age 80. He even has a monthly teleseminars/webcasts where he answers emailed questions. http://www.diabetes-book.com/ . These are just a few.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I found this review of the Newcastle diet interesting and perhaps germane to the "interesting case."
http://www.yourhealthbase.com/archives/ihn251.pdf
In the above, some other issues are mentioned, so here is the link to the back issues http://www.yourhealthbase.com/archives/ ... es2014.htm

And the researchers' page
Some people can tolerate a BMI of 40 or more without getting diabetes. Others cannot tolerate a BMI of 22 without diabetes appearing, as their bodies are set to function normally at a BMI of, say 19. This is especially so in people of South Asian ethnicity.
Making Stavia's point...

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... versal.htm
Tincup
E3,E4
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

There is an article on line. Ecuadorean Villagers may hold the secret to longevity. They don't get cancer or diabetes. They are thought to be descendants of conversos, Sephardic Jews from Spain and another country, etc. They think it is low igf-1 gene involvement. I talked about this on 23andme and found the gene rs number and it was reported on by 23andme. This was back in 2011 or so. You may want to look the details up as it may be helpful. As I recall I had the correct low igf-1 numbers. At the time there was not a team in I as if I recall this was before Julie and Lilly and others became 23andme customers.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks George, interesting stuff.
Only will work until secondary pancreatic failure supervenes.
WA - I'm pure Ashkenaz, do you know anything about insulin and us?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

Do you have access to this paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23520370
Tincup
E3,E4