How to supplement PL-DHA

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to supplement PL-DHA

Post by robinmg »

How very interesting. Which dosage is he using? Also, have you heard of more of these types of products? How do they compare on paper?

For my wife, it would be used solely for prevention purposes. I'm wondering if it would be suitable (not too expensive?) in her scenario.

Wishing your father a full recovery!
Concerned husband of an e4/e4.
dng050
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dng050 »

Hi, Robin. My father is using the recommended dosage, i.e. two caps per day - I think it is 1 mg combined. It is not much of a dose, I guess, but he gets a subjective feeling of being "quicker" in remembering. My father will be 60 in a couple of years, so it is high time starting prevention. I think I am going to let him try the Prodome oil to see if the positive effects are increased. Prodome says there are no contraindications, but I guess we never know since it is a new product. I have seen another product, besides the NeuroRegain and the Prodome oil, but have not decided to try that. Of all the options I have seen, NeuroRegain seems to be the cheapest one.
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Thank you.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

robinmg wrote:Thank you.
Hi robinmg, if you are interested in learning more about plamalogens for ApoE4 carriers, you might find this podcast helpful:
https://www.apoe4.info/wp/the-apoe4-info-podcast/
You'll want the podcast with Dayan Goodenowe. I just listened to another interview with him today. Exciting information.
Best wishes, floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Interesting, thanks for the link!
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

@mcpemberton2000 - I listened to the same Member Q&A with Rhonda Patrick. Her earlier research on phospholipids was what had me concerned about fish oil in triglyceride form. So I had been using krill oil and not having any improvement with lipid markers. After that Q&A where she stated that E4's DO convert triglyceride forms of fish oil (albeit poorly), I decided to try fish oil. I found a brand that is IFOS certified and has a good rating on Labdoor.com. I began taking it in late June or July I think. I just had my labs drawn in late September. My cholesterol results changed dramatically in the last 3 months. Triglycerides went from 71 to 50. HDL from 80 to 83. and LDL-P went from 1200 to 670. My functional medicine doctor could not believe it. I had no idea what to expect, and I honestly don't know that these results mean my brain is better protected. But clearly, there was a huge impact to my lipids. I changed nothing else in my supplement, nutrition (I am a pescatarian with no dairy), or exercise routines (I exercise a lot) during this time.

This suggests to me that perhaps the matter is not as simple as E4's being able to use only phospholipid forms of Omega-3's. I have tried for years to improve my LDL-P with nutrition and supplementation but this is the first time the needle has moved.

I am now taking 1.8 grams of DHA and 1 gram of EPA of a triglyceride fish oil. I am using OmegaVia DHA and EPA (2 separate supplements, not the blend). I have no idea if others would have the same results, but wanted to pass this along because we all know how difficult it can be to find something that works.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hboroughs wrote: I found a brand that is IFOS certified and has a good rating on Labdoor.com. I began taking it in late June or July I think. I just had my labs drawn in late September. My cholesterol results changed dramatically in the last 3 months. Triglycerides went from 71 to 50. HDL from 80 to 83. and LDL-P went from 1200 to 670. My functional medicine doctor could not believe it. I had no idea what to expect, and I honestly don't know that these results mean my brain is better protected. But clearly, there was a huge impact to my lipids. I changed nothing else in my supplement, nutrition (I am a pescatarian with no dairy), or exercise routines (I exercise a lot) during this time.
I am now taking 1.8 grams of DHA and 1 gram of EPA of a triglyceride fish oil. I am using OmegaVia DHA and EPA (2 separate supplements, not the blend). I have no idea if others would have the same results, but wanted to pass this along because we all know how difficult it can be to find something that works.
Impressive results, Hboroughs! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. Found the OmegaVia supplements and may give them a try.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Hboroughs wrote:... My cholesterol results changed dramatically in the last 3 months. Triglycerides went from 71 to 50. HDL from 80 to 83. and LDL-P went from 1200 to 670. My functional medicine doctor could not believe it. I had no idea what to expect, and I honestly don't know that these results mean my brain is better protected. But clearly, there was a huge impact to my lipids. I changed nothing else in my supplement, nutrition (I am a pescatarian with no dairy), or exercise routines (I exercise a lot) during this time.

This suggests to me that perhaps the matter is not as simple as E4's being able to use only phospholipid forms of Omega-3's. I have tried for years to improve my LDL-P with nutrition and supplementation but this is the first time the needle has moved.

Very happy that your results have shown such a great improvement!

I do wonder, however, if the same would happen in the brain. Reason for this is because I read that Fish Oil can (hardly) penetrate the blood-brain barrier for E4 carriers. I wish we could find out some more on this!