Worst Labs Ever

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Whatnow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Worst Labs Ever

Post by Whatnow »

Hi Linda,
I had similar labs (actually, my LDL-P was worse at about 2400). I panicked and dropped keto. I am planning on trying again and reducing or eliminating dairy (I was eating a lot of high fat cheese to stay in ketosis in AM). I also wonder about the effect of metamucil or equivalent and maybe inulin or something like that as well. I hope you'll report what you try and what changes, if any, you make. I know that Dr Westman and others are not worried about high cholesterol or even high LDL-P in the of low inflammation and low fasting insulin (at least he was as of a few years ago, I suppose that could have changed).
DaleBru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaleBru »

Doctors put out a lot of misinformation. Unfortunately, you need to find those who understand the science and who actually get results with their patients.

I recently discovered this video by Dr Robert Lustig, one of the best videos I've seen:

https://youtu.be/Be2NnQB9ODQ

The NMR lipids profile will tell you what you need to know about your LDL particles, only $60 at a lab near me.
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

Linda, I'm going to disagree with the group consensus and say that a TC of 371 and an LDL-P > 2000 is reason to be concerned, and I agree with you that you may want to try a dietary intervention. LDL-P is an objective CVD risk marker, the lower that number the better. Source: https://peterattiamd.com/the-straight-d ... l-part-vi/

I too ate a keto diet that was very high in saturated fat (I'm looking at you, bulletproof coffee). My LDL-P shot up to over 2100 which my doctor found alarming. I cut out most sources of saturated fat, ate more fiber, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables and my LDL-P stabilized at under 700. It sounds like you're willing to try the same.

I read a theory somewhere (maybe here!) that APOe4 carriers are especially sensitive to the negative outcomes of high saturated fat intake. I'm a double APOe4 carrier for comparison.

The good news is you know your numbers and it sounds like you're willing to do something about it. Dietary changes are relatively easy. Good luck!
Dan
ε4,ε4
ChristinaA
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ChristinaA »

HI there,
In regards to your homocystein, yes it is hight but don't worry. If you are not already taking a Methyl supplement with Methyl-folate, B12 and B6 start now. I get mine from PURE supplements and it keeps my homocystein at about 5-6
Hope that helps

Linda wrote:Thank you SO much for your responses! I appreciate it more than you can ever imagine!! I was actually expecting great lab results yesterday and truly panicked when I heard my doctor say that everything was terrible. Thanks to this site and all of you, I'm more hopeful today and plan to learn more and will continue to tweak my diet. I'm NOT going to give up Keto and start eating bowls of oatmeal, but I think I'll start by decreasing (or eliminating) cheese and dairy. Also, maybe I can add in more salmon and shrimp and reduce my red meat intake even more than I already have. I'm also wondering if organic psyllium husk might help. I am really glad that my TG:HDL ratio was good, and that my fasting glucose was 69. (My doctor said that was too low.) There was some good news. I do, however need to figure out why my homocysteine jumped up to 13, and might need to start taking B vitamins and TMG. (I have 2 heterozygous MTHFR mutations.)

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and suggestions!
Linda
Knowledge is power!
Linda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Linda »

Grommet,
I'm hoping to have as much success with lowering my LDL-P as you did with dietary changes. Thanks for the encouragement!

Christina A,
Thanks for your recommendation of Pure supplements. I appreciate it!